Tuesday, November 14, 2017

A New Year Filled with New Ideas

As per usual, my blogging has gotten seriously behind and I regret that I am not using this tool to reflect and connect like I should be.  The new school year has been somewhat chaotic (but in a good way) and things are just beginning to quiet down.  Between 6th grade orientations, introducing Flipgrid and implementing Actively Learn, it has been quite a ride so far.

Over the summer, I explored Flipgrid as a tool to use with teachers and students.  I quickly became interested in using this tool as often as I could and wanted to share it with all of the educators I work with.  During team/department meetings in the beginning of the year, I did just that.  I was able to share a code with all of them for a 45 day free trial and then used some of my library budget to purchase it for the entire school.  So many teachers have been using it quite successfully and I can't wait to see where it goes from here!




Our BCG group was able to convince the administration to purchase the online reading system, Actively Learn.  Although it is a hefty investment, we really felt that it could be useful across curriculum and in almost all departments.  For the past few weeks, I have been sharing information and training teachers to use this awesome tool.  Actively Learn has been so supportive with all of our needs and questions throughout this process.  I look forward to sharing more about the use throughout the school year.

Now...onto the new AASL 2017 Standards just released at the national conference.  Although I was #NotAtAASL, I have been actively looking into just what this means for our library and how it will change the future of libraries in general.  There are so many great resources out there to help promote and acknowledge the fact that having a fully staffed and funded library media center in each and every school is essential to student growth and success.